Facial treatment options following weight loss from “skinny shots”
It’s all the rage on social media where celebrities and others are touting the use of injectable medications such as Ozempic® and Mounjaro™. These drugs were created for patients with type-2 diabetes, but we’re seeing their use as a quick-fix weight-loss method, often called skinny shots. Because of the rapid weight loss people are experiencing, they’re also having some unwanted changes. We now have a new phenomenon associated with skinny shots coined “Ozempic face.” This is when rapid facial fat loss is making people look older and exhausted. Their faces deflate; they hollow out, droop, and sag. This outcome is especially more common in middle-aged and older patients.
Your face needs fat
The reality is that any significant weight loss — from diet, exercise, surgery, or medication — will be especially visible on your face. This may sound backward, but when it comes to your face, fat is often your friend, especially as you age and naturally lose facial volume. The skinny shot accelerates this, which means the lost fat can add more years to your face.
You need help!
You want to stay thin, but you also want your face to look young and refreshed. That’s why we offer a variety of facial treatment options for you:
- Morpheus8: Combining microneedling with radiofrequency can tighten your skin and improve laxity. This non-surgical treatment promotes collagen regeneration in deep layers to increase your skin’s thickness, which helps your face look smoother, fuller, and more youthful.
- Injectables: Hyaluronic acid-based fillers — such as Juvéderm, Restylane and Voluma — or poly-L-lactic acid base fillers – such as Sculptra — fill hollow spaces, as well as stimulate collagen production.
- Silhouette InstaLift®, a type of thread lift, provides an effective option for you if you want to restore a youthful appearance without having a surgical facelift. It’s a great stand-alone procedure or you can combine it with injectables.
- Fat Transfer: This minimally invasive procedure can restore volume and fill your facial hollow areas, including cheeks, under your eyes, and around your mouth and nose.
- FaceTite: Consider this minimally invasive cosmetic procedure that uses radiofrequency assisted lipolysis (RFAL) to help suction out fatty tissues while stimulating collagen production. It targets sagging skin and wrinkles, primarily on the lower half of your face.
- Facelift: This surgical procedure creates a more youthful appearance by elevating and tightening sagging tissues around the central and lower parts of your face.
Discover which facial treatment is right for you
Interested in restoring your face to a fuller, younger, and more refreshed look? Please contact our experienced patient coordinators to schedule your confidential consultation. Contact us or send us an email at [email protected]. _________ Lawrence Iteld, MD, is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. He is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, and the Illinois Society of Plastic Surgery. A highly regarded Chicago based plastic surgeon, Dr. Iteld has received awards from Chicago Magazine’s Top Docs, and Castle Connolly Top Doctors®, and is a Key Opinion Leader with Allergan Aesthetics.