Top 5 Reasons People Seek a Facelift
A facelift is a surgical procedure that gives your face a younger, tighter appearance. This surgery reduces sagging and loose skin, as well as addresses folds of skin that often accumulate on the cheeks and jawline as you age. It can dramatically change the appearance of your face by restructuring loose muscles. Dr. Iteld often combines a facelift with a neck lift to give the patient a comprehensive more finished look.
- The facelift deals with the lower- and mid- face.
- The neck lift reduces sagging skin and gets rid of fat deposits in the neck area.
Why get a facelift
As your skin ages, it loses valuable fat and elasticity, both of which are vital to keeping your face smooth and tight. Wrinkles, creases, deep laugh lines, jowls, and sagging skin develop. All these affect how aged you look. For some, this isn’t a problem; for others, it may directly affect how they feel about themselves. Undergoing a facelift is a very personal decision. Here are the top five reasons we hear from patients when they reach out to us about facelift (and neck lift) surgery.
- Look as young as I feel: If you feel young on the inside but appear tired on the outside or look older than your actual age, a facelift can be the right procedure for you.
- Eliminate sagging skin: Genetics, aging, and environmental factors such as sun damage, are the leading causes of sagging facial skin occurring below the cheeks and jowls. For a time, medical grade facial creams may moderately help with this. But, when collagen in your skin begins to slow down production and break down, topical products may no longer be effective.
- Improve facial contours: Aside from aging, significant weight change can cause the formation of fatty jowls. Some patients want to get rid of unsightly jowls to improve their facial contours and restore the lost volume on their faces.
- Nonsurgical treatments don’t work anymore: When nonsurgical methods — including anti-aging creams and serums, dermal fillers, and other skin rejuvenation treatments — start losing their effectiveness and are no longer capable of producing your desired results, a facelift may be the solution for you.
- Want long lasting results: A facelift can keep you looking younger for many more years. Keep in mind that you will continue to age, but since you’ll start from a “younger” base point, you’ll continue to look younger than if you hadn’t had a facelift.
What it will do for you
A facelift can give you natural-looking and longer-lasting results, improve your self-esteem, and boost your confidence. It lifts sagging facial skin, trims excess skin and wrinkles, and repositions deeps layers of the face into a more youthful position. If you’ve lost fat, we can add fat via fat transfer technique during your facelift procedure to fill in hollowed and flattened areas. The end result is that patients look fresher, younger and less tired. And, when coupled with ongoing nonsurgical maintenance, you’ll have great long-term results.
Discover your facelift options
It’s important to have realistic expectations and understand the risks and benefits when making your decision to have this or any plastic surgery. That’s why we are here to answer your questions and help you decide what’s right for you. Please contact our experienced patient coordinators at [email protected] or click here to schedule your confidential consultation.
We have lots of options for you. Click here to see what's available. ________ Lawrence Iteld, MD, is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. He is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, and the Illinois Society of Plastic Surgery. A highly regarded Chicago based plastic surgeon, Dr. Iteld has received awards from Chicago Magazine’s Top Docs, and Castle Connolly Top Doctors®, and is a Key Opinion Leader with Allergan Aesthetics.